Saturday, March 6, 2010

All Natural

When I first found out I was pregnant I knew I wanted to have a non-medicated labor and delivery (No epidural for me.) Not long after that I heard the benefits of birthing in a tub of nice warm water, and I knew that's how I was going to bring my little girl into the world. I was excited to hear that the hospital has birthing tubs, and allows not only labor but delivery in them as well. (Yay!)

But I want more! I've come to the conclusion that I want to do this ALL natural. I don't want to go to a hospital where the temptation for drugs is just too high. I don't want to be asked ever contraction if I want that epi now. I want to be comfortable.I want to wear what I want (if anything) and I don't want to be parted from my daughter at anytime after delivery.

I am currently looking for a midwife that will assist in a home/water birth. I want to have my baby girl in the comfort of my own home. The fact that we live in an apartment should be no problem. Unfortunatly I have to wait until Monday to see if I can actually have this kind of birth.

Oh for any who think I'm crazy, I'm not. There is no harm in having a home birth. Midwifes are certified and know what they are doing. If something goes wrong they will know and will make sure that we are sent to the hospital, which is only 10 minutes away (at most...there's one or two that are even closer) I'm really excited about this and I hope everyone will trust my decision and support me. =)

2 comments:

  1. I comPLETELY support you!!! I took a women's gender study class last year and one of the topics we talked about was midwifery and home births. it changed my entire perspective on the idea and i am completely open to it now, in fact when i have kids i will seriously look into doing a home birth with a midwife. You are not crazy at all Kendra, in fact i think you are to be admired for actually wanting to experience the birth of your child instead of being numbed and not knowing that incredible feeling. I hope your search goes well and that you will have a healthy and safe delivery of your little Elliott. I'm so excited for you Kendra, you and Matt. You guys are going to make kick-ASS parents!!!!! love Kelsey P. (not sure if you know more than one Kelsey who spells her name the same way, but just in case i thought i'd go ahead and include my last initial, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing Kendra and have much more courage than I think I would have in this situation. I love you and I'll support whatever you want to do.

    ReplyDelete